Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The River Applauds

I have no bones to pick with anyone, no complaining to do, no astute observations to make.  Sometimes I feel like a passenger of life.  Some things go by me so fast that I can't even tell what they were, others I see coming from far away and it seems as they will never get here, and then, zoom....they whiz by.  I try to keep looking forward though....when I turn around and look back, I get a little nauseous.  I am feeling a bit laid back today and it is nice.

I have had some reflective moments lately and they have led me on some flights of fancy and some soul searching.  It seems like my client calls have lessened over the last year.  I hear that the economy is causing a lull in childbearing and that the rates are at a low that hasn't been seen for the last 40 years.  I hear that fact, and I believe it, but still, I see pregnant women everywhere.  Why aren't they calling me?  During a late night, early morning Bible reading, I paused at the passage in Daniel where the partying king suddenly saw a hand writing on the wall.  He had no idea what the words meant and neither did any of his wise men, so he sent for Daniel.  Daniel interpreted it for the king.  The king had been squandering the resources of his kingdom, had been drinking wine out of the holy vessels of the temple and generally been a rotten guy.

Now, to this day, we use a phrase to say that we see the future outcome of any event as "the handwriting is on the wall".  Now, if I use that in my situation, does that mean that my business is just going to draw to a close, since business has dropped off?  Is the handwriting on the wall?

Now back to Daniel.  When he told the king what God had said to him I felt that God could have been talking to me.  He (the king) had been weighed in the balance and was found lacking.  So, his kingdom was to be abolished and divided between two neighboring kingdoms.  Additionally, his very life was to be taken from him for his disrespect of the things of God's house.  That night, he died.

I pondered this thought for a long time....have I been found lacking when weighed in the balance.  Then it occurred to me:  I have been found lacking in balancing my weight, my life.  It is always such an either or equation for me.  I throw myself into whatever it is I am doing full on, then move to the next.  I do not balance my time between all that I have.  God, my husband, my family, my work, ME..  Because of the lack of balance I am not prospering in every area.  All of them suffer.

I have been trying to manage my time better for the last several months.  This scripture just put a punch into it and made me know that I cannot give up.  I am on the right path and that my "kingdom" will not be divided up when I am paying attention to each part.  So I have been trying to get out and take a walk several times a week. Yesterday I was walking along beside the Salmon River and listening to it's strong current rushing by.  It sounded like applause.  I posted this as my status and this is what a sweet friend posted back to me,

Isaiah 55:12 You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace, the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. (and the river too!) : ) 


Sometimes when you listen and stop picking bones with everyone you may find something just for you that God is telling you and receive the confirmation that what you are doing is what you were told.  The river might just applaud your efforts. 


3 comments:

  1. Ohhh. That's me. 100% dedication ....for the moment. Wish I could hug you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh. That's me. 100% dedication ....for the moment. Wish I could hug you.

    ReplyDelete